Appendixes? (Correction)

Subject: Appendixes? (Correction)
From: RELKZONE -at- aol -dot- com
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2000 00:10:14 EDT

(The following text is a paragraph from my initial message sent earlier
today. I noticed, after I sent it, that I had made a mistake. So I thought
I would correct it myself before somebody else gets to it.)

In the material I am editing I ran across the plural "appendixes," which I
have
never heard before. I always thought the plural of "appendix" was
"appendices." However, about a week ago there were some strong opinions
voiced on TECHWR-L (pardon the passive voice!) about "indexes" vs. "indices."
So my question to you is, have you ever heard of "appendixes" [and not
"indexes," as I had inadvertently wrote earlier]? If you have, is that an
accceptable/accepted form of the word? Can I say that one form is "more
correct" than the other? If both forms are correct, is there any subtle
difference in meaning between the two?

Any input on this would be appreciated.

Odile I. Relk