Appendixes?

Subject: Appendixes?
From: RELKZONE -at- aol -dot- com
To: figmo -at- rahul -dot- net, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2000 15:25:23 EDT

Hi y'all!

I am a relatively new subscriber to this list. So far I was content just to
"lurk" in the shadows, learning from what other people had to say about
different aspects of technical communication. I am not a technical
communicator yet, but I am aspiring to become one some day, (relatively) soon.

Today I have a question, so I decided to break my vow of silence. In the
material I am editing I ran across the plural "appendixes," which I have
never heard before. I always thought the plural of "appendix" was
"appendices." However, about a week ago there were some strong oppinions
voiced on TECHWR-L (pardon the passive voice!) about "indexes" vs. "indices."
So my question to you is, have you ever heard of "indexes"? If you have, is
that an accceptable/accepted form of the word? Can I say that one form is
"more correct" than the other?

Any input on this would be appreciated. Enjoy your weekend (if you have one)!

Odile I. Relk