Re: Appendixes?

Subject: Re: Appendixes?
From: Jean Weber <jean -at- wrevenge -dot- com -dot- au>
To: RELKZONE -at- aol -dot- com, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 06:37:46 +1000

At 03:25 4/15/00 -0400, Odile Relk <RELKZONE -at- aol -dot- com> wrote:

In the
material I am editing I ran across the plural "appendixes," which I have
never heard before. I always thought the plural of "appendix" was
"appendices." However, about a week ago there were some strong oppinions
voiced on TECHWR-L (pardon the passive voice!) about "indexes" vs. "indices."
So my question to you is, have you ever heard of "indexes"? If you have, is
that an accceptable/accepted form of the word? Can I say that one form is
"more correct" than the other?

"Appendices" and "indices" are the Latin plurals. "Appendixes" and "indexes" are the English plurals. Both are acceptable. It's a matter of house style; pick one and stick with it.

In my experience, the "-ces" form is more common in British English, and the "-xes" form in American English, but neither is "more correct" than the other. The "-ces" form was much more common when I was in school in the USA (many years ago) but the "-xes" form seems much more common today.

I checked my American dictionary (Webster's) and my Australian dictionary (Macquarie) and both gave "-xes" as the first plural variation, with "-ces" as the second.

Regards, Jean
Jean Hollis Weber
mailto:jean -at- wrevenge -dot- com -dot- au
The Technical Editors' Eyrie http://www.wrevenge.com.au/
Avalook at Australia Travel site: http://www.avalook.com.au/
Now available: Electronic Editing, A quick start guide for editing students, experienced editors making the switch from paper to online, and anyone who needs to write or edit electronically. For details:
http://www.wrevenge.com.au/bookshop/e-edit.htm