RE: Photoshop vs PSP

Subject: RE: Photoshop vs PSP
From: Jeff Hanvey <jewahe -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 12:28:41 -0700 (PDT)

--- Daniel Hall wrote:
>t not have considered (but
> IMHO you should) is Corel's
> excellent DRAW! Suite. The bitmap editor,
> Photopaint,is as powerful as
> Photoshop, but the interface is more intuitive for a
> Win 9x user.

I think most of Corel's products are terribly
underrated. Of course, I learned to word process using
WordPerfect, so I may be a bit biased.

Although I've used Photopaint only as a personal
graphics editor, I really wouldn't agree with this
statement. Photopaint's interface, I think, is harder
to deal with than Photoshop's - especially if you're
already familiar with Adobe products and interfaces.
Perhaps if I used it more regularly, it would grow on
me.

Also, I seem to recall an incident in which Photopaint
wouldn't recognize a well-know graphics format, and I
ended up having to use Photoshop to "tweak" it. I
can't offer much more corroborative evidence than
that, though. I just know that since then, I've made
Photoshop (I have a "light" version of Photoshop that
came with my copy of PageMaker - does almost
everything the full version does) the default editor
on my system and rarely use Photopaint.

> But best of all, you get the whole package -
> Photopaint for bitmap editing,
> DRAW! for vector work, and the suite of texture,
> capture, scan, etc.
> software, along with a gazillion royalty free clips,
> included in the $250.00
> suite price.

If price is really a concern and you need only to
touch up a few photos, then Paintshop Pro is worth the
deal at around $80 - Plus, if memory serves, you can
get a fully working evaluation version for nothing off
the Internet (http://www.jasc.com) - great for stuff
that will need done only once or twice during a
current project.

Does Adobe offer the same for Photoshop or Corel for
Photopaint (other than the 30-day return policy)?

Jeff Hanvey
Memphis, TN

http://invites.yahoo.com