Re: common knowledge question, I think

Subject: Re: common knowledge question, I think
From: "Jeanne A. E. DeVoto" <jaed -at- jaedworks -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 15:22:57 -0700

At 10:42 AM -0700 4/27/2000, Susan Pearson wrote:
>These descriptions were gleaned from a variety of resources, such as
>Netscape's JavaScript reference, and W3C's HTML specs, and the like.
>My question is am I legally obligated to acknowlege these sources, and
>if so, how?

From what you say, you used facts from these sources about browser support,
but did not copy wording, arrangement, the exact selection of facts, or
anything else that might gain copyright protection. This being the case,
your use doesn't implicate anyone else's rights, and you have no legal
obligation that I know of to acknowledge the source. (Of course, there is
the ethical obligation, which you've fulfilled by mentioning the sources of
information in your document.)

--
jeanne a. e. devoto ~ jaed -at- jaedworks -dot- com
http://www.jaedworks.com