RE: Negotiation questions

Subject: RE: Negotiation questions
From: "Kieffer, Barry" <Barry_Kieffer -at- adc -dot- com>
To: "'anonfwd -at- raycomm -dot- com'" <anonfwd -at- raycomm -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 10:19:07 -0700

<snip> The salary offered is about 10k less a year than the median average
for
the area in which the job is located; however, the company is offering her
a lump sum "bonus" for relocation expenses or "whatever she wants to spend
it on" that brings the salary close to the average. </snip>

This is a single year solution. What about next year? She will still be
underpaid in relation to her peers. Remember, salary increases are usually
in the 1-6% range unless a promotion is involved.

<snip> Her immediate concern is: is it worth negotiating for more pay since
the
combined total of the salary and bonus equals about the average for the
area? (She thinks most companies try to "lowball" on their first offer,
so she's wondering if they are expecting her to counter-offer while hoping
she doesn't.) I'd hate to see her sell herself short, but I also don't
want her to risk the job. </snip>

I do not believe any reputable company would "low ball" their offer. Most,
if not all, reputable companies present an offer that is either in line with
their current salary base, or higher due to the tight job market.

HTH,

Regards,

Barry Kieffer
Sr. Technical Writer