Re: FWD: Negotiation questions

Subject: Re: FWD: Negotiation questions
From: "Sandy Harris" <sharris -at- dkl -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 13:52:50 -0400

anonfwd -at- raycomm -dot- com wrote:

> A friend of mine has been offered a job out of the area, and I was hoping
> someone on the list could help me help her with the negotiations (neither
> of us has ever been in this situation).

I'm far from an expert negotiator, but did survive living in Iran and Saudi
where haggling is a way of life.

> Her immediate concern is: is it worth negotiating for more pay ...

Stop there. Sure looks like a dumb question, doesn't it? Of course it is
worth trying. Think of it as an interesting challenge.

> ... I'd hate to see her sell herself short, but I also don't want her
> to risk the job.

Where's the risk? They may not improve their offer, but they're unlikely
to withdraw it because she asks for more. If they do, methinks there's
something quite weird about their attitude and she's well out of it.

Of course, she should make any bluffs she isn't prepared to have called.
"I absolutely cannot accept less than $X", may get the response "OK,
goodbye." and it is hard to know what she says next in that case.

Use "It looks from these STC figures like $X would be a fair salary"
or "Why is your offer so far below the average for the area?" This
both makes it harder for them to say goodbye and easier for you to
answer if they do.

> Her secondary concern is negotiating for time to start. She can't rent
> because she has pets,

As others have said, of course she can. My apartment building has 14 units
and at least half a dozen cats.

> but she won't be able to close on a house for at least 60 days. Is that
> too much to ask for, in anyone's opinion?

Depends on the company, but it might well be.

I'd say negotiate hard on salary but be prepared to be flexible here. You
need to be there when they need you, not when its convenient, and your
pets aren't their problem. I'd ask them to cover both moving costs and
any temporary accomodation costs created by their schedule, but I'd be
prepared to take more-or-less whatever they offerred on that.

> Does anyone have any insights or tips on how to negotiate? Is she out of
> her mind to ask for more? Or out of her mind to take the job as offered?

It helps to appear out of your mind. There were some psychologists who ran
negotiations experiments a few years back. Having the other party think you
crazy and unpredictable was a big win. Better than having them think you
determined, hard-nosed, greedy, ...

> Any tips on how to ask for a higher salary - does she just say "I can't
> take less than $X"?

No. See above.