Re: Writing Samples...

Subject: Re: Writing Samples...
From: Eric Ray <ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com>
To: "Bridget O'Connor" <bkoadmin -at- bkoenterprises -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 07:10:18 -0600

Bridget O'Connor wrote:
> I'm a technical recruiter working with a client company who requires that I
> submit a writing sample from a candidate at the same time I submit the
> candidate's resume. Usually the candidates are happy to comply and I
> don't have a problem. Every now and then however I run into a candidate who
> insists they can't provide a sample because the companies they worked for had
> made them sign contracts not to reveal proprietary information. Obviously,
> this situation makes it very difficult for a potential employer to evaluate a
> candidate's writing achievements.

In my opinion, you (as a recruiter) should work on educating these
_clients_ so they don't require that. You don't mention how
close your relationship is with the client, or how flexible they
might be, but there are a few problems with their approach.

Writing samples in a vacuum don't really help a potential
employer. Sending samples in a vacuum assumes that
* the sample was solely authored/edited/designed by the applicant.
* the sample was really created/edited/developed by the applicant.
* no extenuating factors existed in the development/production process,
thus making the samples ideally representative of the
applicant's abilities.
Obviously, all of these assumptions are potentially false, but
that information wouldn't come out until an interview. Making any
decisions based on these assumptions does both the applicant and
the client a disservice.

> My question is this: Is there any way for these candidates to provide a
> writing sample without violating their contracts? I was told by a writer a

Your clients probably, if they think about it, don't _WANT_ a candidate
who would try to finesse the letter of the law to show proprietary
information around. Sure, they want the candidates to do it when
trying to get an interview, but I'll darn well bet that they want
the candidates never to do it again (that is, after the candidates also
have developed confidential information for your clients).

For my part, when interviewing, I look favorably or neutrally on someone
who states they cannot show their proprietary samples, and categorically
reject anyone showing me anything with a Proprietary/Confidential marking
on it.

When applying for jobs, I wouldn't send writing samples in advance.
Period. It's too easy for them to be misinterpreted (and not necessarily
to my benefit). If people want to see my writing samples, they can
interview me.

I think your clients are making a huge mistake,
Eric