Translation services

Subject: Translation services
From: "Rice, Joseph" <Joseph-Rice -at- sonoma-systems -dot- com>
To: "'TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM'" <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 06:16:05 -0700

The marketing department at our company will need some marketing collateral
(data sheets, brochures, etc.) translated into Spanish. This is a first time
for this, and we are looking for advice for general process and vendors.

1. When working with layout-intensive documents, how do you handle the
logistics of getting translated material incorporated when the graphic
designer/layout artist may not know the language? Do they usually get
annotated copy, or do the layout in English first and have translator work
from that?
2. I am not sure what locations these documents are intended for (I believe
it will be Mexico and Puerto Rico). Will translators pick up any cultural
issues in documents? (These will probably be typical high-tech marketing
sheets.)

Any suggestions would be helpful.

I would also appreciate any vendor recommendations (probably more
appropriate to send those off list). I did some web searches, but always
like to hear from someone with first-hand experience.
Thank you,

Joseph P. Rice
Sonoma Systems 508-481-1591 ext. 279