RE: Trying to flee the country

Subject: RE: Trying to flee the country
From: Suzette Seveny <sseveny -at- petvalu -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 09:40:23 -0400

I wasn't going to jump into this discussion, but....

In addition to the health care situation, let us not forget all the other
benefits: subsidized post secondary education, affordable housing, a good
social welfare net, dental care in the schools (if parents don't have
coverage), competitive wages, etc., etc.

I make good money - as a technical writing wage slave, I'm up at the top of the
range. My husband makes similar to me. Together we can afford to live very
well - and we don't pay anywhere CLOSE to 62.5 % income tax. Perhaps Allen is
just not very good at doing his own taxes, and needs to find a good accountant.

I wouldn't trade living in Canada for higher wages and/or lower taxes in the
US. I once thought about it, but I have children and I love the peace of mind
knowing we will be able to afford post secondary education, and if (God forbid)
they get sick, we will not go broke, or lose our house. You can't put a price
on that comfort.

On Wednesday, April 26, 2000 4:47 PM, Joel Basart [SMTP:joel_basart -at- inetco -dot- com]
wrote:
> While the tax rate is high, think about Medical care that is almost free,
> available to everyone, and some Provinces like Alberta do not have sales tax
> as high as others, like British Columbia - I wouldn't decide against
> somewhere just because of an income tax rate.
>
> Sorry for my 2 cents, Canadians do have to stick up for our country once in
> a while.
>

> aehlert -at- pria -dot- com wrote:
>
> Canada is a great place to work.... if you don't mind the 62.5% income tax
> rate
> and another 15% tax on anything you buy.
>
> Can you believe the tax on alcohol is 80%? Now that's just nasty!

Suzette Seveny
Markham, Ontario, Canada
sseveny -at- petvalu -dot- com or suzette -at- yesic -dot- com
DISCLAIMER:
Any opinions expressed are MY opinions.
Feel free to have your own.
Let's agree to disagree
But Please - Don't Flame Me.

The optimist says the glass is half full. The pessimist says the
glass is half empty. The engineer says the glass is twice as big
as it needs to be.