Re: Know the New Economy

Subject: Re: Know the New Economy
From: Dan Emory <danemory -at- primenet -dot- com>
To: Chris Hamilton <cah_91 -at- yahoo -dot- com>, Techwrl-l <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 1 May 2000 11:27:22 -0700 (MST)

At 10:34 AM 5/1/00 -0700, Chris Hamilton wrote:
>--- Dan Emory <danemory -at- primenet -dot- com> wrote:
>>
>> So, your laughable "New Economy" rewards
>> incompetence, disregards the
>> valuuation of tools based on their ability to
>> improve productivity, and
>> somehow, despite these inimical traits, your
>> sophomoric view is that it is
>> more results oriented than the "old" economy.
>
>That's not at all what he's saying. He's saying that
>the job is the job and you can gripe and complain all
>you want about the quality of your tools, but it
>doesn't change the fact that the job has to be done.
>Also, a true professional, according to Andrew does
>whatever he or she can to overcome the problems with
>tools.
>
>I've lived my professional life overcoming tools,
>personalities, vague requirements (or no requirements
>at all), and short-sighted decisions. It's not fun,
>but it's the job.
Au contraire. That's what makes the job interesting.
But that doesn't mean you don't proactively seek to improve your work
conditions. Meekly making do with tools that negatively affect your
productivity denigrates your professional reputation. In fact, it's a form
of featherbedding--an "Old Economy" term that describes attempts to protect
superfluous, low productivity jobs by refusing to accept new
methods/processes/tools that would make those jobs obsolete.

Real professionals, be they doctors, engineers, airline pilots, or technical
writers, demand the best tools if they are expected to work thoroughly and
productively. The more difficult the conditions under which they work, the
more need there is for superior tools. New economy, old economy, whatever
kind of economy you're talking about, the value of proper tools remains is
an important factor. If the New Economy is supposed to connote one in which
people work smarter, then the value of good tools will increase, because
they are "smartness multipliers."
| Nullius in Verba |
Dan Emory, Dan Emory & Associates
Voice/Fax: 949-722-8971 E-Mail: danemory -at- primenet -dot- com
10044 Adams Ave. #208, Huntington Beach, CA 92646
majordomo -at- omsys -dot- com with "subscribe framers" (no quotes) in the body.