Re: Re Word/Weird

Subject: Re: Re Word/Weird
From: Tracy Boyington <tracy_boyington -at- okvotech -dot- org>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 03 May 2000 08:29:03 -0500

Susan Kirsch wrote:

> I am mystified when people (like my operations manager) tell me that they
> have absolutely no trouble with Word, at all, ever. I have always felt that
> either they are lying or have never used any advanced features (styles,
> master documents, cross ref., bookmarks, TOC, etc.).

I think most Word users have never touched any of the
advanced features, nor had much of a reason to do so.
And yes, that would shelter them from some of the
problems.

Rebecca Rachmany wrote:

> I managed this technical writing firm of 15 writers for three years, and I
> didn't have the Word struggles described on this list. Why? Because the
> company owners and I took the time to really learn Word, by subscribing to
> newsgroups and learning to use the macro language. Whenever someone came
> across a bug, someone knew how to help them quickly. We wrote macros which
> overcome most of the major irritations, such as buggy numbering, cross-file
> cross-references, headers and footers, the works.

Rebecca, I think you just helped prove the point you
were disagreeing with. You shouldn't have to write
macros to fix functions such as numbering,
cross-references, and headers/footers. They should be
working functions, not "major irritations."

Tracy
who misses Reveal Codes :-(

Tracy Boyington
mailto:tracy_boyington -at- okvotech -dot- org
Oklahoma Department of Vocational & Technical
Education
Stillwater, Oklahoma
http://www.okvotech.org/cimc
Give a hoot... read a book