Re: initiating successful technical communications

Subject: Re: initiating successful technical communications
From: "Lindsay Burrell" <lburrell -at- telus -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 6 May 2000 17:43:22 -0700

> Barbara Hubert wrote:
> We are putting together a report/proposal on how to find a direction for
our
> department.
>
> The Request for Info:
> What I really need here is some advice--lots of advice, especially success
> stories. This is a wonderful company, that has a lot of potential. I want
> see our new department succeed.

One place to look is JoAnn Hackos' Managing Your Documentation Projects.
For one thing, it is just plain excellent (like everything JoAnn Hackos
produces). But with respect to your problem, she gives several different
arguments as to how quality in documentation adds value (e.g., cuts costs).
These are directly targeted at corporate management, intended to help you
argume for a proper documentation process. JoAnn Hackos has been there.

If you are new to managing documentation projects, you can't do better than
this book. Her thesis is that "Quality lies in a well-managed process." As
a total bonus (as if you needed one), there are about a million forms and
templates to help you through the process of managing your projects.

Good luck.

Lindsay

PS I'll send you something Monday off-line that may provide some value for
you.