Re: System Requirements

Subject: Re: System Requirements
From: Elizabeth Ross <beth -at- vcubed -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 09 May 2000 12:37:24 -0400

Sean said:
> I have had good luck writing on the test system. I save often and keep
> backups to boot. Yup, crashes happen. Oh well. Log it and move on <vbg>. It
> is interesting that you had beta software crash hard near *your* deadline.
> Seems maybe the beta program ought to be extended and your deadline move
> accordingly ;?P

Hah! You never worked for my former employer! Beta program? Extend
deadlines? What means these things?

> People do accept buggy software, I know I do. I have never worked for a
> software company that thought it was releasing bug-free software <g>.
> Running the beta software on a writer's system seems like a pretty good QA
> test, doesn't it <g>.

But I am no longer in QA, I am in Tech Pubs. <g> Seriously, in my former
incarnation, the testing bit involved lots of swapping out of video cards
and documenting install procedures. With two machines, I could actually
watch one boot and document it rather than waiting for it to boot, launch
Frame, then try and write down what I remembered. Or I could take notes on
paper <shudder>. I also had to test with different OSes. To accomplish that,
I would regularly swap hard drives. It could be done, but I'm glad I had
Frame sitting on another system that I could tweak to peak performance and
then leave it alone.

> P.S. Isn't weeping in your job description????
Not any more. <vbg> Now I have a G4 *and* a PIII on my desk.
--
Elizabeth Ross
Senior Technical Writer

Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum.