RE: Help! Framemaker vs. Quark

Subject: RE: Help! Framemaker vs. Quark
From: Dina Marroquin <DMarroquin -at- FRXSOFT -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 11:24:19 -0600

From: Stephen Arrants <sarrants -at- roidirect -dot- com>
<<Why does marketing want you to change to Quark? Do they use your
documents(or vice versa) as is? Do they need to convert your documents for
their use as source material? >>

Hello.

I thought I'd delurk and chime in.

I'm currently working on redoing a book for my company. I chose to use
FrameMaker for the doc. I contacted the marketing dept. to talk about cover
art. They in turn spoke to the company who does their graphic design. This
guy, who's going to work on the cover art, informed them that I should be
using Quark to produce the doc because it was an industry standard and that
most service bureaus didn't work with Frame. Have any of you had to deal
with something similar? I balked, of course. This guy really didn't know
what he was talking about. Sure, if you are going to produce brochures and
slicks you use Quark. But, in my case, I needed to use Frame because it
provided me a way to import PDFs easily into the pages, use an existing
template, and generate lists with minimal effort.

For those of you who use Frame...what do you provide printers/service
bureaus with when you are ready to go to print? PDF? Postscript? Frame
files? What about with Word? Just curious...

BTW, I chose Frame over Word for a variety of reasons. For the record, I use
both tools in my work and prefer one to the other depending on what I'm
working on.

Sign me:
An equal opportunity tool user.
Dina