RE: Employee experience dilemma....

Subject: RE: Employee experience dilemma....
From: "Higgins, Lisa" <LHiggins -at- carrieraccess -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 13:55:46 -0600

Paul Hanson:

> Fast forward a year. How is FL helping with existing projects going to
> teach FL how to take a manual from start to finish? I think that this
> manual *is* a mentoring project. Is it large? Yes. Ideal?
> Perhaps not. I
> wholeheartedly agree with your statement snipped below. I think this
> project is 'some experience.'

True, and I have to confess that it hadn't even occurred to me that it's
logical and the right thing to do to talk to FL *before* talking to
management. You should definitely talk to her first, and I hope that, if I
were in this situation, that would have occurred to me *before* I went to
management.

On the other hand, I would definitely not advocate putting her feelings or
her education ahead the company's needs. That is, if fixing what she's done
is going to take more time and result in an inferior product as opposed to
what would result if you were to take charge of the project and have her
work in a different capacity.

Again, it's important to be open and honest and helpful with your coworkers.
Office politics are counterproductive. But that doesn't mean you should
sacrifice the success of a project to avoid possibly hurting someone's
feelings.

Lisa.