Re: Need help with a term

Subject: Re: Need help with a term
From: Tracy Boyington <tracy_boyington -at- okvotech -dot- org>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 10:31:17 -0500

> Rant: Now if you really want to use a geeky term, try Submit or Commit
> instead of Save. As an earlier poster stated, these terms should be banished
> from GUIs and docs aimed at average users.

OK, so I'll ask again -- what's wrong with "submit?" I'm not arguing, I'm
asking, because I really do not know.

> I guess I don't understand how a
> tech writer who is interested in clear communication with their average user
> audience would opt for introducing terms such as Submit or Commit when the
> perfectly good and clearly understandable Save is already available and used
> in a gazillion applications.

To me, in the case presented, the user was not saving the changes, they were
submitting them to some higher power. I guess I just over-analyzed it.

Tracy
Oklahoma Department of Vocational & Technical Education
Stillwater, Oklahoma http://www.okvotech.org/cimc
Give a hoot... read a book