Re: FINAL INSTALLMENT: Master/Slave/Mirror

Subject: Re: FINAL INSTALLMENT: Master/Slave/Mirror
From: "Edwin Skau" <eddy_skau -at- mailcity -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 10:30:47 +0530

Hello:

Are we taking the 'political correctness' party too far? What is
your problem with the term master or slave? Maybe we should knock
off words like boss, superior, subordinate, inferior, etc. from our entire lexicon.

The problem with politically correct and incorrect speech is that one can convey a very mean and hostile message using politically correct terminology. At the same time, we are going to lose out on a lot of good if all we can see in a communication are the 'politically incorrect' or potentially embarassing or insulting.

I was a journalist when the Soccer World Cup finals were to
be played in the US, and there was a lot of discussion on whether
the term 'head' should be used in the commentary. Well, convention won over the finicky, sniggering terminology police. I also see 'header' and commonly used in this and other lists, without invoking visions of the Lewinsky girl in action.

Master and Slave convey a very lucid impression of the roles the components play, and since it serves the purpose without making a personal assoult on anybody, what's our problem?

IHS

eddy