Re: Political Correctness (Was Re: Master/Slave)

Subject: Re: Political Correctness (Was Re: Master/Slave)
From: "Carnall, Jane" <Jane -dot- Carnall -at- compaq -dot- com>
To: "'TECHWR-L'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 10:01:26 +0100

I do believe that the technical terms "Master/Slave", while not *intended*
to be offensive, nevertheless dance uncertainly on the edge of offensiveness
(that "twinge" reported by several members of this list).

OTOH, I find members of this list dismissing other TWs thoughts on the
subject as "alleged" highly offensive.

I think that "Master/Slave" will either cease to be used (because it *is*
found to be offensive by a sufficiently large percentage of the technicians
who are supposed to use it, don't like it, and invent a new term to avoid
using it) or else (conceivably) cease to become offensive, in which case
this discussion will no longer occur.

The fact that this discussion does occur and re-occur on Techwhirl means
that this terminology *is* sufficiently dubious enough for some to be
doubtful and for others to aggressively dismiss all doubts. If no one cared,
the discussion wouldn't happen.

Jane Carnall
Technical Writer, Compaq, UK
Unless stated otherwise, these opinions are mine, and mine alone.