Re: copyright and the web

Subject: Re: copyright and the web
From: Bill Hartzer <BHartzer -at- cha-systems -dot- com>
To: "'Techwr-l'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 09:54:59 -0500

"calls" the image from another site, thus stealing your bandwidth.)

As for the situation at hand, this is highly "illegal" and frowned-upon
in the internet world. What that other webmaster is doing is blantantly
stealing your site, as well as your bandwidth.

What I would immediately do is to rename the page that he's linking to
in the frame and put up a new page with the same name that says
something like "content stealer" in HUGE letters or something. Chances
are it will be there for a long time since the webmasters who do this
rarely go back and look at their frames page that they made.

I would also send an email to the ISP where the site is hosted, telling them
the situation. If you're paying for bandwidth on your site, which you
probably
are, then that other site is actually stealing hard-earned money from you.

I know of some cases where this was done to some friends of mine and they
were stuck with a $3000 bill at the end of the month because some other
webmaster hotlinked/stole his site using frames. And there was nothing they
could do about it because the hits actually went to their website. They
weren't
aware of this because they didn't check their log files on a regular basis.

Of course, if you have any questions about this, please let me know.

Regards,
Bill Hartzer
Technical Writer
CHA Systems, Inc.
2711 LBJ Freeway
Suite 172
Dallas, TX 75234
phone: 972-484-0756 ext. 228
email: bhartzer -at- cha-systems -dot- com