RE: Conditional text a whole book file??

Subject: RE: Conditional text a whole book file??
From: Bill Burns <BillDB -at- intl -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 15:08:06 -0600

John Waddell, International Man of Mystery, writes:

> Can't you just make another book file that contains the file with the
> master
> file (boy, this is getting old) and not the one with the slave section?
> If
> there are other differences in the master file, you could use conditional
> text to tailor that file to work. You would have to regenerate the file
> each time you used it in the other book, but you would only be updating
> one
> file.

To add to John's suggestion, if the master/slave information is dispersed
throughout the book (across files), you can apply conditions to the slave
sections, then create a control file for each book/build to manage the
conditional-text settings. Then just import the control file
conditional-text settings across the book to show and hide the content as
needed. The book files would contain separate TOCs and indices, but it's
still a good practice to regenerate those after resetting conditions.

Bill Burns - Eccentric Technology Consultant
INT'L.com Design & Development
billdb -at- intl -dot- com
"Being disintegrated makes me very angry."