RE: to be an Application or not to be

Subject: RE: to be an Application or not to be
From: "Nancy C Kendall" <Nancy -dot- C -dot- Kendall -at- aexp -dot- com>
To: "Techwr-L%lists.raycomm.com" <Techwr-L -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: 17 May 2000 15:33:01 -0700

>> Have you had to describe an ODBC, SQL-Server, ActiveX-based web application
>> lately? What did you call it? A program? A software solution? Software? An
>> application? A web application? A group of joined web applications?

I had the same problem when I started my current job. We settled on using "the
XYZ system". Most of the applications are related, intertwined software. It is
sometimes difficult to determine where one leaves off and the next takes over.
Thus, it's considered a "system". The users are all "in house" so the
terminology is well understood. Also, it keeps the Legal-Eagles happy because
we are not using "XYZ" as a noun in the generic sense, as in, please make a
Xerox(R) of this.

Nancy