Re: Stalking the 'feral' tech writer

Subject: Re: Stalking the 'feral' tech writer
From: Sandra Law <sandra -at- qmaster -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 11:24:24 -0600

Sharon Burton-Hardin wrote:

I am an anthropologist by training who is also a tech writer. And I love

watching the culture! It is the best. We are our own wacky little
culture.

I also have a background in anthropology (socio-cultural and physical).

While I worship Jane Goodall - I once got to stand about 10 feet from
her

I once heard Birute Galdikas (she studies Orangutans in Borneo) speak in
1986 at the University where I received my training. Interestingly, she
was making the case for not cutting down tropical forests, due to the
potential for zoonosis, citing AIDS as a an example (SIV to HIV).

More anthropology is needed!

I think 'native' anthropology might be the ticket. That is, the
'native' inhabitants undertake the study. This assumes that you are not
a lone writer, and have potential 'informants/subjects in your midst'.

Some of the non-ideal types that might be encountered, 'Techwriteris
rantensis', and 'Linguas foam-at-the-mouthensis'.

Sandra Law