Re: Fwd: Unix questions

Subject: Re: Fwd: Unix questions
From: Dan Brinegar <vr2link -at- vr2link -dot- com>
To: peg -at- stout1 -dot- com, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 11:21:03 -0700 (MST)

>--- Peg Bogema <peg -at- stout1 -dot- com> wrote:
>> (1) Do you know what a MAN PAGE is?

My first technical communications project was developing newbie helps
screens for a UN*X-based system.

Manpages are not help-as-we-know-it.

Every command/program/whatever in UN*X has a manpage, which will tell you
everything there is to know about how the command /program/whatever works
(but not why or how).

Unlike task-based Help for GUI applications, man pages tend to be purely
reference material in style and structure: they are rather structured, and
style is important... I had the hardest time figuring them out at first,
but the "Coffee man page" helped me understand both how they work and what
they're about.

The Coffee man page: http://door.acad.cai.cam.ac.uk/help/coffee.html

Sorry to say my old bookmarks for *ALL* official manpages don't work
anymore-- they've moved.

>> (2) Will Acrobat Reader work on UNIX?

Yep, depending on the flavor of UNIX you're using, there is probably a
Reader already setup for it: you can always build your own distribution for
any flavor of UNIX or Linux (I didn't say it would be easy ;-)

There's also xPDF and PDF-blit, which are useful independently developed apps.

>> (3) Can one create straight HTML for a UNIX browser?

Sure... If you know basic HTML, or can use WebWorks, etc... There are more
browsers available for UNIX than any other platform: Netscape, Opera, and
OmniWeb are some GUI browsers that spring to mind; the basic text-only web
browser for UNIX is called Lynx.

Remember that the web and HTML were invented on UN*X (NeXT machines,
actually)...

HTH,
dan'l
[Who is 40 today 8-P ]

At 10:17 AM -0700 5/19/00, Becca Price wrote:

>--- Peg Bogema <peg -at- stout1 -dot- com> wrote:

>> Here are my questions:

Dan Brinegar Information Developer/Research Droid

Those blackeyed peas tasted alright to me, Earl.

vr2link -at- vr2link -dot- com CCDB Vr2Link
http://www.vr2link.com Performance S u p p o r t Svcs.

And "Mixed Company" action-scale models coming soon