Re: RE. Command line interfaces?

Subject: Re: RE. Command line interfaces?
From: Dan Brinegar <vr2link -at- vr2link -dot- com>
To: "Hart, Geoff" <Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 29 May 2000 12:07:15 -0700

At 2:48 PM -0400 5/29/00, Hart, Geoff wrote:
>Ah, how soon the young forget! Why in my day, the evils of MS-DOS and the
>struggles of valiant writers against it were the stuff of legend... <gdr>

Let's not forget mainframes and such (UN*X, MVS, PR1MOS, etc. ;-)

>[....] most of us haven't used a command
>line in so long that we've forgotten how to write about them from the user's
>perspective. That means you'll have to take some time refamiliarizing
>yourself with the concept and what that type of user interface means to the
>user.

Lesson one; learned as soon as the students get into the computer lab they
just spent $Cubic_LabFees on:

Never release instructions telling the user to "Type 'Return'..." because
at least half will type 'R E T U R N' ....

YMMV 8-D

Dan Brinegar Information Developer/Research Droid

"Leveraging Institutional Memory through Contextual
Digital Asymptotic Approximations of Application Processes
suited to utilization by Information-Constrained,
Self-Actualizing Non-Technologists."

vr2link -at- vr2link -dot- com CCDB Vr2Link
http://www.vr2link.com Performance S u p p o r t Svcs.