Graphics instead of words

Subject: Graphics instead of words
From: scott -at- soffront -dot- com
To: techwr-l
Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 12:59:45 -0700

Hi,
This may be an odd question, but I want to use a graphic instead of the
word "find." I'm trying to substitute it with either a magnifying glass
icon or a pair of binoculars icon.
I printed both icons and showed everyone in the office. No one got the
meaning with either one. Ironically, Microsoft uses both icons (for
example, the binoculars icon in Word and the Magnifying glass in Find
Files). I don't have the luxury of using a tool tip, since it is written
documentation, and do not want to type "find" anywhere I use the icon.
Any suggestions? I want to be progressive in this decision.
Thanks,
Scott Parsons
Technical Writer
Soffront Software, Inc.