Re: Graphics instead of words

Subject: Re: Graphics instead of words
From: "Steven Shepard" <steves -at- yardi -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 13:13:47 -0700

> Scott Parsons writes:
> This may be an odd question, but I want to use a graphic instead of the
> word "find." I'm trying to substitute it with either a magnifying glass
> icon or a pair of binoculars icon.
> I printed both icons and showed everyone in the office. No one got the
> meaning with either one. Ironically, Microsoft uses both icons (for
> example, the binoculars icon in Word and the Magnifying glass in Find
> Files). I don't have the luxury of using a tool tip, since it is written
> documentation, and do not want to type "find" anywhere I use the icon.
> Any suggestions? I want to be progressive in this decision.

We used icon like that in earlier versions of our documentation. What we
found is they only served to confuse people rather than help them. We now
only use text in the text. If we are referring to the Save button, we write
"Clcik then the Save button" rather than "Click [graphic of button]." If an
element is not easily recongonizable in words, we will put it out in the
margin next to the text.

Steven Shepard
Manager, Documentation Group
Yardi Systems, Inc.