RE: cross-browser output issues (WWP)

Subject: RE: cross-browser output issues (WWP)
From: "David Knopf" <david -at- knopf -dot- com>
To: "DebbieM" <dm -at- ptrail -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 12:13:44 -0700

DebbieM wrote:

| I am using FrameMaker and WebWorks Pro as the single-source
| solution for my
| current project.
|
| My main problem is the difference in output between Netscape and IE. I can
| get a lovely display in IE (5.0) that is ugly as sin in Netscape
| (4.7x).

Welcome to the club! <g> The CSS spec is implemented rather differently in
Netscape 4.x than in IE 5. This is usually the biggest source of problems.

| Our
| end-users are predominantly (non-Windows) Netscape users, so it
| is important
| that my best output be in Netscape.
|
| Can other WWP users give me the benefit of their experience with
| cross-browser output issues?

It really depends on which WWP template you are using. The WebWorks Help
template sidesteps most of the Netscape issues by not relying on CSS at all.
If you are using the DHTML template, however, you may want to include a
browser sniffing script to load a CSS appropriate for whichever browser the
user is using.

Yes, check out the "safe list" at www.webreview.com.

| P.S. If anyone happens to know of a list or space where folks can
| talk about
| WWP-specific issues while we wait for Quadralay to get their Forum up and
| running, please let me know. I'm not sure that all of techwr-l cares about
| WWP details.

I'd recommend you join the wwp-users mailing list. There's a link and more
info on our home page at www.knopf.com.

Regards,

David Knopf
Knopf Online
Tel: 415.550.8367
E-mail: mailto:david -at- knopf -dot- com
Web: http://www.knopf.com

Certified RoboHELP Instructor & Consultant
RoboHELP Community Advisory Board
WebWorks Publisher Certified Trainer