RE: them engineers

Subject: RE: them engineers
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "List, Techwriter" <TECHWR-L -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 13:12:15 -0700 (PDT)

> > a "solution" to
> > kowtow to the programmer god? [...]
> > Offering to take
> > notes in a meeting is not selfless, but simply a
> > self-acceptance that you're
> > just a glorified secretary, and so deserve to be treated as
> > such outside the
> > meeting as well.

> Yeah, we're professionals. Yeah, we deserve respect. But to
> get the
> job done, you may need to bow down a little. And believe me,
> ain't
> nothin' like the gratitude you get from a developer whose ass
> you
> saved with your chillingly accurate, reliable notes.

I was in Jamaica this past week at one of those all-inclusive
resorts. As is the way with those resorts, you get to know a
group of people over a sever-day period.

Anyway, I'm talking to two guys at one of the bars; both of them
happen to be Canadians. They're talking about what they do...one
was a mechanical engineer and one was a civil enginner. They're
comparing notes and how one does a type of work which is then
passed on to the other type of engineer, and pretty much
babbling along through a nice rum-buzz.

One turns to me and says, "John, what do you do". My response
was that I'm a technical writer and my job is for them BOTH to
pass to me what they do so I can write it up.

Ever see the movie with Mike Myers when they bow down in front
of Aerosmith and start chanting "we're not worthy, we're not
worthy..." That's him in the middle of Veronica's Piano bar, and
between that and several other factors, the entire bar turned
to look at us.

=====
John Posada
jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com
john -at- tdandw -dot- com
732-291-7811
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
Benjamin Franklin

http://im.yahoo.com/