Re: Take this engineer and shove it

Subject: Re: Take this engineer and shove it
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "Giordano, Connie" <Connie -dot- Giordano -at- FMR -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 10:32:24 -0700

"Giordano, Connie" wrote:

> I've never yet worked with a developer who wasn't primarily motivated by
> money-knowing they can get big and bigger bucks almost anywhere. Many are
> also motivated by pride of craftsmanship, but don't discount the money
> factor. That may be because with the kind of software I work on, SME's are
> business analysts and product managers, not developers.

All I can say is that your experience is very different from
mine. Of course, I've worked in Linux for the past year, where
idealism is high. But I've seen something of the same pride in
other fields.

Anyway, I can't do much about the money. What am I going to do -
bribe them? :-)

But I can relate on a pride of craft level.

> As for me, it ain't the engineers I want to shove ;)

Another thing writers and engineers have in common! Even though
I've sat with marketing once or twice, I've come around to the
conclusion that writers have more in common with the engineers
(and designers) than with management. They're all primary
producers, and they all tend to think that management doesn't
appreciate them enough.

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
"The Open Road" column, Maximum Linux