Re: Not Technical Enough

Subject: Re: Not Technical Enough
From: Bettina & Scott Wahl <wahl -at- sympatico -dot- ca>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2000 18:57:15 -0400

> The point is that neither the tech weenie who can't communicate nor
> the English major who has an aversion to math and science is likely
> to make a successful technical writer who is able to take on any
> writing assignment.

Well, duh. Surely we didn't need another lengthy thread to figure this out.

This is such a silly discussion. I've met many people with liberal arts degrees who
are not only good at communicating complex information, but have also taken the
time to get a deep technical understanding of what they are trying to communicate.
They are really good. I aspire to be one of them.

On the flip side, I've met many excellent engineers and software designers who can
communicate very effectively, and do. We work very well together.

And besides, it depends on the job. Of course a good technical writer needs to have
a thorough understanding of the subject, but the level of technical knowledge
required depends on what it is you're trying to communicate.

--
Scott Wahl
Manager, Customer Documentation & Training