Re: STC Annual Conference trip reports?

Subject: Re: STC Annual Conference trip reports?
From: Janice Gelb <janiceg -at- marvin -dot- eng -dot- sun -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2000 14:54:48 -0700 (PDT)

In article ORG -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com, tracy_boyington -at- okvotech -dot- org (Tracy Boyington) writes:

>| One very interesting point they made was that studies
>| show that, contrary to our visual instincts, it's
>| actually better ergonomically to have clickable TOCs
>| and links on the right side of the page rather than
>| the left for easier mousing.
>
>That *is* interesting. It makes sense, but did they say if they had done any
>usability testing? I wonder if the left-side index is so ingrained that you would
>lose more than you gain by moving it to the right.

I believe they were quoting someone else's research. Besides the ease
ergonomically, evidently it also makes sense in terms of how people
read: if you have text to the side of the navigation, it's easier for
readers to return to a consistent left margin than to return to the
left, skip a left-hand navigation device, and continue reading.

> Did they have any examples of sites that use it?

They incorporated it into their own site at
http://www.ecu.edu/english/tpc/

Janice Gelb | The only connection Sun has with
janice -dot- gelb -at- eng -dot- sun -dot- com | this message is the return address.
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/8018/index.html