Re: Objects that share a fate

Subject: Re: Objects that share a fate
From: Janice Gelb <janiceg -at- marvin -dot- eng -dot- sun -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2000 10:09:58 -0700 (PDT)

In article ORG -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com, markl -at- gilian -dot- com ("Mark L. Levinson") writes:
>As Andy Rooney said, the same things keep happening
>to the same people. Again I'm looking for a pair
>of words to describe a relationship. This is a
>relationship in which by doing something to one
>object, the user automatically does it to a number
>of other specified objects. [snip]
>We have "parent/child" tentatively in mind, but we
>would rather not have people thinking in database
>terms because this is rather an ad hoc relationship,
>for the purpose of only one or two commands.

If this occurs so seldom, do you really need to
invent vocabulary for it? How about just saying
something like "Deleting the A object also deletes
its dependent B objects."

Janice Gelb | The only connection Sun has with
janice -dot- gelb -at- eng -dot- sun -dot- com | this message is the return address.

In this world, it rains on the Just and the Unjust...
but the Unjust have the Just's umbrella.