RE: Insure vs Ensure, was Re: Should we hire this guy?

Subject: RE: Insure vs Ensure, was Re: Should we hire this guy?
From: Tom Murrell <trmurrell -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: Lisa Wright <liwright -at- uswest -dot- net>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2000 16:11:47 -0700 (PDT)

--- Lisa Wright <liwright -at- uswest -dot- net> wrote:
> I'm confused. Tom Murrell said:
> <snip>Flesch says _ensure_ means only 'make certain', and _insure_ only
> 'guarantee against loss', but this is an imaginary distinction recognized
> nowhere else (NB: he didn't know about MS Manual of Style), including the
> major dictionaries. </snip>
>
> Is _Flesch_ saying that the distinction between insure and ensure is an
> imaginary one, recognized nowhere else?

Just to clarify, Tom Murrell didn't say any of what was in that paragraph. Tom
Murrell was quoting what Mr. Copperud wrote. (Only the comment in parenthesis
can be attributed to Mr. Murrell. Mr. Copperud was saying that Mr. Flesch's
statement, cited above, was "an imaginary distinction."

No need to shoot the messenger. Besides, *I* did say that you could do what you
d**ned well pleased, or words to that effect.

(Now I am going to go write on my blackboard 1,000 times "Stay out of holy wars.")

=====
Tom Murrell
Senior Technical Writer
Alliance Data Systems