Re: Client from Hell redux

Subject: Re: Client from Hell redux
From: Dan Emory <danemory -at- primenet -dot- com>
To: Andrew Plato <intrepid_es -at- yahoo -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2000 16:32:42 -0700

I think I may be having an epiphany.
I agree with everything Andrew is stating.
======================================
At 01:09 PM 6/6/00 -0700, Andrew Plato wrote:

--------------------------SNIP-------------------------
Ram the damn project through and quit waiting for approval. You know the
cliche: "it is easier to ask for forgiveness then to be a sniveling little
weasel begging for approval."

When a client is lazy with me, I start hammering them. I show up unnannouced at
a cubicle, send lots of emails, phone calls. Anything to keep the job moving
forward. Stopping work, folding your arms, and having a little tantrum because
your client didn't respond to you is immature and wasteful.

Most companies could care less about the documentation, they just want the damn
thing done. So push on through, get it done, and then tweak it later. It is
totally, inhumanly impossible to get a complex piece of work like a document
100% correct the first time. So, play the odds and just get the damn work done.
You can make it perfect on the next revision.
--------------------------------Snip----------------------------

Clients who are vague about what is wrong have nothing better to do but bitch.
If they can't qualify their bitches, then blow on by and move along. Let the
next sucker worry about their indecisiveness.

There is a delicate dance between clients/consultants. You have to be direct,
firm, and assertive because if you aren't the job won't get done. Yeah writing
things down and being explicit is good. But you have to follow that up with
decisiveness and a "get it done" attitude.

Most clients WANT somebody to boss them around a bit and make things happen. If
you're a limp noodle who has to have a group hug every time somebody expresses
displeasure then, sheesh, go get a job on the set of Ally McBeal and get out of
consulting.

| Nullius in Verba |
Dan Emory, Dan Emory & Associates
Voice/Fax: 949-722-8971 E-Mail: danemory -at- primenet -dot- com
10044 Adams Ave. #208, Huntington Beach, CA 92646
majordomo -at- omsys -dot- com with "subscribe framers" (no quotes) in the body.