Client from Hell: Seeing the Reality

Subject: Client from Hell: Seeing the Reality
From: Michael Andrew Uhl <uhl -dot- mike -at- epamail -dot- epa -dot- gov>
To: "TECHWR-L, (Tech Writers)" <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2000 10:46:27 -0400

Esteemed Colleagues:

Someone told the story of giving themselves and account on a computer
system to bypass a stifling bureaucracy. Another TECHWR-Ler responded to
this quite strongly that it was wrong. I think we have to look at these
kinds of things on a case-by-case basis. Sometimes the management is
secretly happy when someone bypasses the stifling rules with the goal of
getting a job done, and when no real damage is done.

I remember working for a large company that paid me well to do a lot of
nothing. They wanted me around, and ready, for then they actually did
have work. I learned to have the attitude that I was paid to work to
their agenda, not mine; and if they wanted me to sit around teaching
myself new skills most of the time, then that's what I'd do. A colleague
made the mistake of complaining that he had nothing to do. They had to
get rid of him because they obviously could no longer justify--to their
bosses--his being there.

Maybe it was actually a good thing the tech writer gave himself a sys
admin account in pursuit of his work. Maybe his boss was actually
pleased, or would be if he found out--as long as this person kept the
entire matter quiet.

Ask people with years of military experience and they will tell you that
successful people are creative when it comes to the rules. :-)

Cheers.

-Mike
--
Michael Andrew Uhl (mailto:uhl -dot- mike -at- epa -dot- gov)
Lockheed Martin - U.S. EPA Scientific Visualization Center