Good Experience(s) Matter Most

Subject: Good Experience(s) Matter Most
From: Michael Andrew Uhl <uhl -dot- mike -at- epamail -dot- epa -dot- gov>
To: "TECHWR-L, (Tech Writers)" <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2000 15:27:02 -0400

The longer I'm in this profession--and it's been about 13 years now--the
more clearly I see how your major in college recedes into nothingness
when it comes to your career advancement. The MFA person who learns to
program in Java and document APIs, or the English major who designs and
develops award-winning Web sites will not have to worry about employers
questioning the value of their degree. The degree becomes irrelevant.
The relevant question is, "What have you done for a paying customer
lately?" "Paying customers" includes employers, of course.

Cheers.

-Mike
--
Michael Andrew Uhl (mailto:uhl -dot- mike -at- epa -dot- gov)
Lockheed Martin - U.S. EPA Scientific Visualization Center