Differentiate the product (was Take this engineer and shove it)

Subject: Differentiate the product (was Take this engineer and shove it)
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: techwr-l digest recipients <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2000 10:59:18 -0700

"John Bell" <jbell -at- siebel -dot- com> wrote:

>I think this depends on who the customer is. For mass-produced shrink-wrap
>products, it is hard to evaluate the documentation before buying.

True, but the documentation still affects the way that people
regard the company. Virtually everyone, even those who claim that
they don't read manuals, will dip into one in the first couple of
days after they buy a product. So, the docs will help to form
part of the impression of the company.

Also, over several releases, a company can get a reputation for
good or bad documentation. Increasingly, reviews mention the
documentation, at least briefly.

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
Contributing Editor, Maximum Linux

"Theirs is a land of Hope and Glory,
Mine is the green fields and the factory floors,
Theirs are the skies, all dark with bombers,
Mine is the peace we knew between the wars."
- Billy Bragg, "Between the Wars."