RE: shareware

Subject: RE: shareware
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: techwr-l digest recipients <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>, chas -at- fcs -dot- uga -dot- edu
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2000 11:09:29 -0700

On Wednesday, May 31, 2000 4:00 PM, chasity mcwilliams
[SMTP:chas -at- fcs -dot- uga -dot- edu]
wrote:

> I am a newbie to this field. I can't afford the
> prices for the software that I really need
> (framemaker, robohelp, etc). I was wondering if
> anyone knew of some shareware equivalents, and if
> so, what types of experiences have you had with
> shareware?

Look into student discounts. And don't forget that, no matter
what price you pay, you can write off the cost as a business
expense.

If these aren't alternatives, have a look at Linux. It's better
than shareware: it's free. Moreover, and there's thousands of
free programs for it. For obvious reasons, you won't find any
Winhelp tools, but you will find some other useful ones. Kword is
very similar to FrameMaker in design, while the GIMP compares
with PhotoShop. If you don't have the time or inclination to
search the web and download, you should be able to get a package
with all these things for less than $50 at any major computer
store.

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
Contributing Editor, Maximum Linux

"Theirs is a land of Hope and Glory,
Mine is the green fields and the factory floors,
Theirs are the skies, all dark with bombers,
Mine is the peace we knew between the wars."
- Billy Bragg, "Between the Wars."