RE: FrameMaker, WebWorks, and small caps

Subject: RE: FrameMaker, WebWorks, and small caps
From: "Brierley, Sean" <Sean -at- Quodata -dot- Com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2000 15:01:58 -0400

Hallo:

In short: I agree with Arlen.

Well, you can do some experimentation but, before you do, please consider:
HTML does not offer the sophistication in formatting of a product like
FrameMaker. HTML formatting is also depends on browser variances.

Anyway, add "font-variance: small-caps" to the CSS in your Support
directory. (You can change the one in Output, as well, but it will be
overwritten by the CSS in support at some point.) The change to the CSS will
be used by both the HTML pages and the CHM.

The addition looks like this:

.Title { text-align: center; font-variant: small-caps; font-size: 18pt;
color: #0000ff; font-weight: bold; margin-top: 20px}

That is for my WWP styles named Title.

Now, how is this used? Font-variance is in the CSS2 standard. However, of
the popular browsers, only the browser Opera version 4 (I have a beta of
that) seems to support it fully. In I.E. 5 this looks like all-caps and
Navigator 4.7 just ignores it (try the Navigator 6 beta). Consider, too,
that some font support for font-variance is spotty.

Thus, you can play around with font-variance and different font faces to see
what happens. Although, I recommend you redesign your styles to simplify
them to make up for the deficiencies in the HTML, which is a very simplified
tagging script. As part of such simplification, I recommend not using small
caps.

Best regards,

Sean
sean -at- quodata -dot- com