RE: Why Duplicate Efforts?

Subject: RE: Why Duplicate Efforts?
From: Jim Shaeffer <jims -at- spsi -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2000 16:50:49 -0400

And on this list (or a similar list), I remember a thread on the idea that
the tech writer should write the Help file first so that the programmers
could use the Help file as the spec.
Some participants were quite taken with the idea.
Some participants argued that there was stuff that belonged in a spec that
had no business being in a Help file.

Note: I tried some quick searches of the archive but couldn't find the
thread.

Jim Shaeffer
jims -at- spsi -dot- com

-----Original Message-----Snipped.
From: Paul Hanson [mailto:PHanson -at- Quintrex -dot- com]

"If a programmer has to write up a spec with the information that is
used to create help text, why not have the programmer create the help
text? Why have a duplication of effort, since the help text is
information from the specs?"