RE: Trip Reports re: presentations

Subject: RE: Trip Reports re: presentations
From: "Giordano, Connie" <Connie -dot- Giordano -at- FMR -dot- COM>
To: "'John Posada'" <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 14:11:16 -0400

John,

Sorry to disappoint you, but I doubt seriously if anyone ever learned all
they needed to learn from a presentation by listening alone no matter how
dazzling your presentation style is. If I can't take notes, I can't
synthesize what I am hearing and seeing with what I know from my own
experience. And even better, if you give me a chance to DO something, I'm
much more likely to move it from short-term to long-term memory.

Auditory learning is probably the least effective way for any adult to learn
anything, which goes a long way towards explaining why interactive tutorials
and one-on-one training seem to work the best in teaching adults how to use
new software. Standup lectures always rank at the bottom. Not for
everyone, but for a majority of adults in learning situations.

And you're right, I for one would probably waste my time and money for a
presentation done in the way you work best. As with almost everything on the
list, once again, the best solution is probably somewhere between the polar
viewpoints that get aired here. But hey it sure is entertaining!

MTC
Connie Giordano
Senior Technical Writer
Advisor Technology Services
704-330-2069
e-mail: Connie -dot- Giordano -at- fmr -dot- com

"Try not to have a good time...this is supposed to be educational. " -
Charles Schulz