RE: Word to .PDF files

Subject: RE: Word to .PDF files
From: "Susan Ahrenhold" <sahrenhold -at- winspc -dot- com>
To: "'Jo Ann Kumpf'" <joann -dot- kumpf -at- idea -dot- com>, "'TECHWR-L'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 09:45:33 -0400

When you install Acrobat, a couple of new printers will appear in your print
box.
They are PDFWriter and Acrobat Distiller.

The big difference between the two is in the quality of the graphics.
PDFWriter simply produces output at 72 dpi, while Distiller gives you the
actual dpi at which the material appears in your word processor.

This has caused problems for us. We don't have Distiller working correctly
at our site yet (it's on my list) and PDFWriter is what the previous writers
have used. When we do a screen capture at 72dpi and import into Word, the
resulting import is about 150 dpi. Then PDFWriter resamples it at 72 dpi.
This is not always ideal. I've found that the resulting graphics are of
better quality when I insert by reference, rather than reporting.

As with all final output, you have to look at your final pages.

If you have Word documents, what is required to convert the documents into
.PDF files?
My only experience with .PDF files has been with FrameMaker.

Thanks for your input.

Jo Ann