Re: Documentation Coding

Subject: Re: Documentation Coding
From: "Stuart Conner" <sconner -at- ndsuk -dot- com>
To: techwr-l
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 11:16:29 +0100

We use:

<originating group code>.<document type code>.<optional field>.<sequential
number>.<issue>

This coding system gives some 'meaning' to the document code, which I
personally think is a good thing (you can tell what type of document it is,
for example). Some others in the company feel that the document code should
just be a plain, unique number with no implied meaning. Anyone have any
strong feelings on which system might be better?

Stuart.