At what resolution should I capture?

Subject: At what resolution should I capture?
From: "Lisa Wright" <liwright -at- uswest -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM. COM" <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 13:19:09 -0700

Hello all. I need some help understanding what I'm doing with screen
captures. (I'm sure this must be a very basic concept, but there's not a lot
of conceptual information in the FullShot online help and I don't know where
else to look.) Ultimate output will be DocuTek; right now I'm printing to an
HP LaserJet 2100TN (PostScript driver).

FullShot lets you capture at 72, 150, or 300 dpi. They explain the setting
in their online help (pasted below) but they don't explain the benefit of
capturing at the different settings. I have figured out through
experimentation that if I capture at 300, I don't have to reset the
resolution in Photoshop. All I have to change is the print size and save (as
a bitmap, in this case). But I'm not sure what the other benefits might be.

And another question. If I'm outputting to a 1200 dpi printer, does the
resolution of my screen captures matter as much? The only effect I can see
of saving a bitmap at a higher resolution is that the print jobs take
longer, until eventually the printer pukes and won't print the graphic at
all if it's a 1200 pixels/inch bitmap.

TIA,
Lisa Wright
Technical Writer
PeakEffects

<Description of Capture Setup option in FullShot:>
"Resolution: You can preset a resolution so that all captured images are
processed in that resolution. There are three preset resolutions: 72dpi,
150dpi and 300dpi. After an image is captured, you can change the image
resolution to any value by using Change Resolution command from the Tool
menu. Resolution option is only available in the Professional Edition and
Enterprise Edition."