RE: Structure vs Substance?

Subject: RE: Structure vs Substance?
From: "John Locke" <mail -at- freelock -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 15:25:10 -0700

Wow. It's turning into metaphysical debate... Can't resist.

Dan Emory writes:
> Whimsy = Entropy = The ultimate state reached in the degradation of
> the matter and energy in the Universe = Nothingness
>
> In the Real World, rules, process, and structure are the proven
> ways to combat
> organizational entropy. Your world view, and that of the other quacks who
> yak on about the New this and the New that, is dominated by an insane
> belief that Entropy = Freedom.

Fun stuff.

As I understand it, Entropy, in Thermodynamics, is the tendency for heat to
move to cold, and all things to become equal. This fits your description
above.

So now where does structure fit in? I would argue that structure is the
ultimate result of Entropy: the end leveling effect that makes everything
the same. Quite the opposite of whimsy...

Let's consider the opposite of Entropy: concentrations of matter into
clumps, concentrations of heat (such as the sun, or a black hole).

Where do we fit in? On that fine edge between the two, the flow of heat and
energy from the sun into empty space, the flow caused by Entropy that allows
all this marvelous complexity that led to life on Earth.

Tell me again: How does whimsy equal entropy?

John Locke, not really wanting an answer
--Spouter of meaningless gibberish
--Reeling from the heady discussion, getting ready for Eric to yank my
posting privileges, and hollering HITLER in the hope that this thread will
finally end.
http://www.freelock.com