Re: Tech Writer screening questions

Subject: Re: Tech Writer screening questions
From: Bill Swallow <bswallow -at- poweradz -dot- com>
To: techwr-l <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 09:00:54 -0400

OK. Another $0.02 before coffee...

I'd flunk Tara's grammar quiz, and I'd ace John's quiz. So am I a good
tech writer? Hard to say.

Rather than quiz the poor recruit on the mundane, I say ask a bunch of
questions that will give you an idea as to how the person approaches
tech writing:

1. How do you find info for your documentation?
2. Briefly describe some interviewing techniques that have worked for
you.
3. How do you handle a non responsive SME?
4. How have you published your documentation in the past?
5. Do you have any online doc experience? What did you produce?
6. What tools do you prefer using and why?
7. When do you consider what you have written "done"?

--
Bill Swallow
Technical Writer