RE: Tech Writer screening questions

Subject: RE: Tech Writer screening questions
From: "MacDonald, Stephen" <Stephen -dot- MacDonald -at- Aspect -dot- com>
To: 'TECHWR-L' <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 08:59:00 -0400

An organization that thinks a good candidate is one who already knows how I
think a bulleted list should be formatted is nowhere that I want to work.

I would be more interested in a candidate's response to the following
questions:

Q) What do you do when you need information and don't know where to find it?
A) A response that shows initiative.

Q) How would you go about suggesting improvements to a document written by a
colleague?
A) A response that shows the candidate realizes that how you approach the
colleague will have a lot to do with whether the suggestions are welcome.

Q) What technologies related to technical writing are you interested in?
A) A response revealing whether the person keeps up with what's going on,
that is, single-sourcing, XML, etc.

Questions of this kind reveal attitude, initiative and interest in the work.
With the right mix of those things and the required general background you
can teach someone how you want bulleted lists formatted.

Steve MacDonald
Aspect Communications, Inc.