RE: User Names + Joe Bloggs Screen Shots

Subject: RE: User Names + Joe Bloggs Screen Shots
From: "Mark L. Levinson" <nosnivel -at- netvision -dot- net -dot- il>
To: TechWr-L <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2000 18:11:10 +0300

I'd never use the names of people from the company. One
problem is that as the immortal Schnozz obsoived, "Everybody
wants to get inta da act." And at worst, you have to worry
about legal ramifactions when the people in the example have
left the company.

Humorous names? We've been over that question, I think.
People impatient for information aren't in a receptive
mood for humor, and even when the timing is right, people's
senses of humor vary too widely. If you're writing a book
under your own name, humor's yours to risk, but if it's
the definitive book that comes with the product under
the company's name, my advice is to keep it stolid.

And though nobody asked me to, I've taken to including a
disclaimer saying that names of individuals and companies
as used in examples are intended as fictitious.

Mark L. Levinson - nosnivel -at- netvision -dot- net -dot- il - Herzlia, Israel
Only half of life is quantifiable.