Subject: Summary: Computer-based Training and Distance Ed (Long)
From: "Craig Branham" <branhacc -at- slu -dot- edu>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2000 13:30:11 -0500

Many thanks to the twelve people who responded to my note from last Monday
(included at the end of this message) about technical writing for
computer-based training, Web-based training, and distance education. Here
is a summary of what I discovered during the exchange. If anyone has
anything to add or any corrections to suggest, please speak up on the list.
If anyone would like to talk more with me about these topics off list, feel
free.

Education of Correspondents

You'll remember that I'm making a transition into technical communications
from teaching, currently I'm a Ph.D. candidate in English. I was heartened
to learn that while some of the respondents had advanced degrees in Tech
Comm and instructional design and technology, many successful technical
communicators I corresponded with have liberal arts backgrounds and had
made transitions similar to the one I'm trying to make now. Several had
entered technical communications from teaching, and one person is still a
part time adjunct instructor in technical communications at the college
level.

At least one of the correspondents expressed some doubt about how well
formal education in instructional design can prepare someone for what they
will encounter on the job.

Several people wrote to me that they had completed certificates, degree
programs, and other training through distance ed programs to fortify
themselves for work in this field. One correspondent reported learning a
lot while taking a distance ed course through a university, but said that
the lack of live discussion and the onus of carrying out class discussion
electronically made the course more time-consuming than a regular college
course would be.

Companies Where They Work

I would have assumed that most people in this business would be working
with education and training companies, but in most cases correspondents
reported that they work in training or tech comm departments within
software and service companies. Many of the correspondents reported that
they do many other kinds of technical writing along with their CBT
projects. One person reported that CBT positions were hard to find, that it
is generally hard to get a position authoring CBT exclusively. Only one
person I corresponded with went straight from college into CBT.

One correspondent is currently working in the higher education market, as a
consultant to a distance ed program at a small liberal-arts college. He
said that he broke into this field as a MA student in Tech Comm with some
background in instruction, when he offered his services at the local
college after hearing that they were starting a distance ed program.

Nature of the Field and Trends

Several people reported that the Internet and Web are shaking up the CBT
field a great deal, though we didn't get into many specifics about industry
trends that I can report reliably here.

The distance education "industry" in higher education is still inventing
itself. My own perception, based on my own experience, is that distance
education programs at many institutions are being designed simply to
repackage traditional instruction and add a high tech veneer to the course
catalog. This practice may chance once the novelty of Web-based distance ed
finally wears off and the average student-customer becomes more discerning.

Resources

Finally, what follows is a list of all the URLs and resources that were
mentioned to me. Thanks very much to everyone who responded to my
questions!

COMPANIES

Mindleaders.com
http://www.dpec.com/

Geteducated.com
http://www.geteducated.com/

EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTIONS

Capella University
Accredited degree and certificate programs in instructional design
http://www.capellauniversity.edu/

California State University, San Diego
Offers certificate program in instructional technology
http://edweb.sdsu.edu/

NEWSLETTERS

Elliott Masie's TechLearn TRENDS
Free weekly newsletter on distance learning for the education market
http://www.masie.com/

Online Learning News
Commercial training news digest. To subscribe you have to provide personal
info: full name, job title, snail-mail address, etc.
http://www.lakewoodconferences.com/

PROFESSIONAL ORGANIZATIONS

American Society for Training & Development (ASTD)
Large, U.S. organization.
http://www.astd.org/

The Association for Educational Communications & Technology (AECT)
Academic focus.
http://www.aect.org/Default2.htm

RECOMMENDED BOOKS

Nigel Harrison, How to Design Self-Directed and Distance Learning Programs
(McGraw-Hill, 1999). Project-oriented guide.

William Horton, Designing Web-Based Training (John Wiley, 2000).
Two separate recommendations for this title.

Brandon Hall, Web-Based Training Cookbook (John Wiley, 1997)

RECOMMENDED TOOLS

Macromedia Director
For producing multimedia for Web, CD-ROM, DVD-ROM
http://www.macromedia.com/software/director/

Macromedia Authorware
Specifically for developing "rich-media" Web-based learning
http://www.macromedia.com/software/authorware/